Saturday, August 8, 2015

Delhi Heritage: History of thousands of years, monuments created over centuries and very little knowledge about these.

I have been living in Delhi since 1988 except for the periods I had postings outside in Goa, Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram for some years. Having been a history student, I have been fascinated by the city, history of which is thousands of years old. Right from Mahabharat period to Delhi Sultanate era, the Mughals and later the British everybody contributed to its heritage and monuments. I have had a chance to go around Delhi and see some of these monuments. While everybody who lives in Delhi or visits it briefly is aware of the Qutub Minar and Red Fort, there are hundreds of lesser known monuments spread all over the city which one passes in the course of the day so often about which not much is known. I intend to write brief descriptions of these with photographs taken by me. Maybe it will help people in appreciating the monuments a bit better. I hope this will serve some purpose in knowing our heritage a little better. Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment